The 2018 Western and Northern Aboriginal Languages Alliance Forum was held at Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education’s Batchelor Campus and the Wadeye Community from the 15th to the 19th October 2018. The theme for this year’s forum was ‘The Language of Art & The Art of Language’.
The Forum was co-hosted by Kungarakan and Wadeye communities with the program taking place over the two locations and five workshop streams:
* Communication: traditional and new communication methods
* Documenting language on-country: mapping and stories using drones
* The language of art: cultural and political voices in our art
* Telling our stories: narration with visual resources
* Managing language centres: managing and sustaining language centres and language archives.
In addition to the workshops, the gathering was an opportunity to celebrate a number of events including, the launch of Koongarakun language resources, opening a Wadeye Men's Shed exhibition, and the repatriation of a WWII diary to Wadeye.
It was a jam packed program enjoyed by all.