- Part Time Flexible Arrangement
- Salary Sacrifice options
- Not-for-profit working with Aboriginal Language Centres
Exciting project-based role, approximately 6 months length, 2 days per week, with the possibility of extension dependant on funding. Support the career development and training of Indigenous language workers.
About the Company
First Languages Australia is a charity registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (ACNC) and has PBI status.
The role of the organisation is to liaise with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community members and agencies, communicating the views and aspirations concerning the recognition, revival and promotion of traditional languages to a broad target audience.
First Languages Australia takes the lead in identifying state, national and international trends impacting on Australia’s first languages and supports communication between communities, government and key non-government agencies.
First Languages Australia initiates, and collaboratively implements, national projects to help overcome prioritised needs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander language communities. First Languages Australia is a small organisation run by a national committee with expertise in all areas of language work
About the role
The role will be contracted for approximately 6 months, working 2 days a week. The role will have flexibility around when and where these hours are worked. There is an office located in Newcastle, however, if the successful applicant is located elsewhere in Australia, they will need to have a suitable home office to work from. There may be times throughout the project where additional days can be offered. The Project Officer – Education and Training, working together with other First Languages Australia team members, is responsible for the success of the specific project. The aim of this project is to support the career development of Indigenous language workers and the teaching of Indigenous languages to boost the long-term uptake of Aboriginal and Torres Strait languages.
About the person
We are seeking someone with the following skills and attributes:
- Experience working with the Department of Education
- Familiarity with Government reporting methods
- A demonstrated experience in project research procedures
- Reporting experience is essential
- Communication skills need to be advanced - both written and verbal
- Meeting facilitation experience is essential
- Prepared to work with a remote team, and to work independently
- Applicant must be prepared to travel around Australia throughout the project
- We are after a vibrant team player, who can fit into our wonderful, creative, working environment
- This role is an identified role, preference will be given to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants